How to Speed Up NordVPN?
Slow internet can be very frustrating. Be it while trying to watch a video on YouTube, or while doing some really important work, slow internet becomes our worst enemy during times like these. If you happen to be experiencing a slow NordVPN connection, here are a few ways to resolve your problems.
1. Try changing your server - Sometimes, connecting to an endpoint, which is really far from your present location, can lead to slower internet speed. Since NordVPN provides hundreds of servers in over 60 countries, you can always choose one that’s very close to your location.
2. Verify your internet speed - Before blaming NordVPN for making your internet connection unusable, you might want to check if your internet service provider is really giving you the speed you pay for. Disconnect the VPN and check the speed to find out where the true issue lies using an online speed test.
3. Try the TCP protocol - NordVPN uses UDP as its default protocol. Try changing it to TCP manually and test your internet speed again to see if it has improved.
4. Disable your antivirus - If you happen to use antivirus or firewall software, try switching it off. Sometimes, these local security apps can slow down your internet as they inspect individual packets of data. Besides, NordVPN already scans for malware and other online threats using its advanced security solution called CyberSec.
5. Close unwanted apps - In some cases, applications operating in the background can cause a reduction in your internet speed. The most common culprits include torrent clients, messaging apps, and email clients.
6. Restart your router – Routers are really just less powerful computers, and it’s common for their performance to improve after a restart.
Popular questions about Nord VPN
How to Set Up NordVPN on Firestick?
Firestick, better known as Amazon Fire TV Stick, is a digital media player developed by Amazon. It uses a modified version of the Android operating system, called Fire OS, that makes it possible to install Android apps from the Amazon App Store.
Even if you’ve never installed any app from the Amazon App Store, you won’t have any problem learning how to set up NordVPN on your Firestick. This is what you need to do:
• Turn on your Firestick.
• Open Settings from the top menu.
• Choose Applications and pick App Store from the list of available apps.
• Select the magnifying glass icon and search for NordVPN.
• Select the NordVPN app and install it.
• Once installed, open the app and either create a new NordVPN account or log in with your username and password.
• Connect to a NordVPN server.
While Amazon is currently fine with the NordVPN app being in the App Store, it could change its mind in the future and ban all VPN apps. Should that ever happen, you will be glad to know that you can also install the NordVPN app as a stand-alone .apk file, which you can download from NordVPN’s official website using an app called Downloader. For this method to work, turn on the Apps from unknown resources option located under Developer options in Settings.
How Do I Know NordVPN Is Working?
You can easily check if NordVPN is working properly using readily available online tools that detect the most common VPN leaks, including IP leaks, DNS leaks, and WebRTC leaks.
To check for IP leaks:
Note down your original public IP address assigned to you by your ISP. If you are currently using a VPN, turn it off and head to the official website of NordVPN. Your IP address will be displayed at the very top.
Now, turn on your VPN and go back to the official website of NordVPN.
The website should now show a different IP address and country. If it does so, it means NordVPN is working. If the results show your original IP address, then you’re most likely not connected using the NordVPN app because it automatically checks for IP leaks.
To check for DNS leaks:
If your NordVPN is on, DNSLeakTest should show your chosen location and the IP address of the NordVPN server you’re connected to. If it does so, your VPN is working and is not leaking.
To check for WebRTC leaks:
Web Real-Time Communication (WebRTC) is a useful feature present in most modern web browsers, but it presents another vulnerability for VPN users, which is why it’s important to check for WebRTC leaks. To do so, visit BrowserLeaks with NordVPN active and see if your real IP address is hidden.
How to Setup NordVPN on Router?
Typically, NordVPN enables you to secure up to 6 devices, but you can use this VPN service to connect a lot more devices than that by setting it up on your router.
Setting up NordVPN on router allows every device connected to the router, including desktop computers, laptops, smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, wearable devices, and other internet-connected gadgets, to have direct access to NordVPN servers.
Because each router is different, it’s impossible to provide a single set of instructions and cover all routers out there. However, you can use the general steps below as a rough guide and figure out the details on your own:
• The first step to set up NordVPN is to log into your router. This will allow you to make the necessary changes to configure NordVPN on your router. Start by entering the IP address of your router into the search bar and then enter the admin username and password to log in.
• The next step is to configure the router. Configuring the router depends completely on the router’s firmware. Some routers have integrated VPN functionality while others don’t support VPN connections at all unless you replace the stock firmware with DD-WRT, OpenWrt, or some other alternative firmware.
• Finally, you should verify that your router is really connecting to the internet using NordVPN. You can use a simple online IP address lookup tool to determine what your public IP address is and whether it differs from your real IP address.
Top Sale on VPN apps
Use our promo codes to save up to 55% on WindScribe
1 Years Sale Price
users successfully used this promo
Deep discounts of up to 33% on VPNSecure with no tricks
1 Years Sale Price
users successfully used this promo
What people says about Nord VPN
I believe NordVPN is one of the best VPNs available on the market. Its military grade encryption feature basically guarantees that your data is being protected and that no government agency can track your online activity. However, one point of caution, your Internet surfing must be routed via their servers, otherwise, an ISP can see your online activities in what is called a DNS leak. The great thing is that NordVPN provides additional protection for this problem, which ensures that your privacy is basically maintained 100% of the time.
P2P NordVPN is one of the few VPNs that offers the possibility of using P2P services without problems. I applaud this feature as it allows my business to grow without the fear of our privacy being compromised, and because it works at a very reasonable speed. I also like the wide network of servers, which includes many in Germany, my country of residence, as this gives me the possibility of choosing one close to my offices.