This article has been just updated:
The use of a VPN service is critically important if you want your online privacy protected. If you are in the habit of using public WiFi hotspots, it is even more essential that you use a VPN when connecting to the Internet.
There are some features that you should look for when choosing a VPN service for your computer or mobile device.
What to Look for in a VPN Service
- Server network – A VPN service employs VPN servers to hide your IP address and protect your privacy. You want a VPN with a large server network that is spread throughout many global locations.
- Connection speed – The connection speed that you achieve when using the VPN service is another important factor. Slow connections will defeat the purpose of using the service and limit its usefulness.
- Data encryption – Strong data encryption is a key component of a VPN to keep your data safe when being transmitted online.
- No logging policy – You want a VPN service that does not log your online movements.
The Best VPN Services
Based on the criteria discussed above, here are three of the best VPN services available today.
NordVPN is one of the most widely-used VPN services around, and for good reason. Some of the features that have lead to its popularity are:
- The service protects your data with military-grade, 256-bit key AES encryption. Double encryption is available for further protection.
- Your IP is hidden to keep you anonymous and you can opt for quick connect or select a server in the country of your choice to spoof your location.
- One account allows you to use the service on six different devices simultaneously.
- The ability to block malware and pop-up ads
- High-speed connections
- Large VPN server network of over 5,000 machines located around the world
- Dedicated P2P servers to make it easier to access torrents
- A 3-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Strict no logging policy
- Kill switch to terminate your connection if the VPN goes down
- Runs on Mac, Windows, iOS and Android
- Connections to the dark web can be sent through the Onion router for additional privacy protection.
Another great option for those looking for a VPN service is ExpressVPN. Here are some of the features that make this service stand out from the pack.
- A large network of VPN servers distributed in 94 different countries throughout the world
- Optimized servers that deliver high-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth
- No logging of your online activity
- Fast connection speeds
- Supports Windows, Mac, Android and iOS platforms
- Data security is achieved through the use of 256-bit AES encryption.
- A 30-day money-back guarantee lets you try the service risk-free.
- Kill switch to preserve your online anonymity if the VPN connection suddenly drops
- Use a single account on up to three devices at the same time.
Here is another quality VPN service that will protect your privacy and secure your data while online. Some of its features include:
- A network of over 1,100 VPN servers spread out over 60 different countries.
- No retention of logs that track your online activity.
- Data protected with 256-bit AES encryption.
- No limits on bandwidth or the P2P traffic that is essential for torrenting.
- Connect up to ten devices simultaneously with one IPVanish account.
- A 7-day money-back guarantee allows you to test drive the application.
- Runs on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices.
Using any of these VPN services will provide you the online privacy and data protection that you are seeking. They all offer money-back guarantees so you can try them out and choose the one that suits you best.