YouTube has become the world’s largest repository of user-created video content, and over one billion users enjoy the site every day. If you count yourself among them, you probably know how frustrating it can be to watch a YouTube video without WiFi or on a slow internet connection. You’ve also probably wondered if it’s possible to download YouTube videos for offline playback.
We have good news for you: yes, it’s possible to download YouTube videos for offline playback—all you need is a YouTube downloader. In this article, we list the top 7 best free YouTube downloaders that can help you download any YouTube video in the quality of your choice.
Are YouTube Downloaders Legal?
When you accept YouTube’s terms of service, you agree “not to access Content or any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as intended through and permitted by the normal functionality of the Service, and solely for Streaming.”
YouTube defines “Streaming” as “a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material by YouTube via the Internet to a user operated Internet enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user.”
In other words, it’s against YouTube’s terms of service to download videos for offline playback. However, there’s nothing inherently illegal about YouTube downloaders themselves.
4K Video Downloader is a versatile YouTube downloader for Windows, Linux and macOS that allows you to download videos, playlists, and whole channels from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and other video sites in any quality you want.
4K Video Downloader can additionally download annotations and subtitles in .srt format or embed ones for a single video or entire playlist in one click. You can transfer the downloaded videos directly to your iTunes library and enjoy them on your iPhone, iPod, or iPad anywhere you go.
How to Download a YouTube Video with 4K Video Downloader
1. To get started with this excellent YouTube downloader, head over to its official website.
2. Click the “Get 4K Video Downloader” link.
3. Install 4K Video Downloader as you would any other application.
4. Go to YouTube, open the video you want to download, and copy its link from the browser.
5. Press “Paste Url” button in 4K Video Downloader.
6. Select the desired video quality, format, and download location.
7. Press the “Download” button.
8. Wait for your video to download.
You’d have to look very hard to find a YouTube downloader that supports as many video sites as WinX YouTube Downloader. From YouTube to Vimeo to Dailymotion to Facebook, this excellent YouTube downloader for Windows lets you download video content from over 600 sites in any quality, format, and resolution.
You can add up to 1,000 video URLs at the same time, and WinX YouTube Downloader will automatically analyze their resolution, format, and size, and list all output options available. Unlike many other YouTube downloaders (none of which are mentioned in this article), WinX YouTube Downloader guarantees a safe and clean installation.
How to Download a YouTube Video with WinX YouTube Downloader
1. Go to: https://www.winxdvd.com/youtube-downloader/
2. Click the “Download Now” button.
3. Install WinX YouTube Downloader.
4. Paste the URL of the video you want to download into the application.
5. Choose a resolution and quality.
6. Click the “Download” button.
Videoder is an elegantly designed YouTube downloader for Windows and Android. It can convert YouTube videos to MP3 files, and you can use it to download content from over 1,000 different sites. The Android version of Videoder has been downloaded over 40 million times, and it now supports downloading from over 50+ sites.
How to Download a YouTube Video with Videoder for Android
1. Go to: https://www.videoder.net/
2. Click the “Download for Android” button.
3. Once the download is complete tap on the completed notification to install.
4. Go to Settings → Security and allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store.
5. Launch Videoder.
6. Paste the URL of the video you want to download into the application.
7. Choose a resolution and quality.
8. Click the “Download” button.
This easy-to-use YouTube downloader for PC and Mac was first released in 2006, and the application has only kept improving since then. So far, over 130 million people have installed Free YouTube Download, and you can join them by completing just three simple steps.
How to Download a YouTube Video with Free YouTube Download
1. Download and run Free YouTube Download.
2. Copy YouTube URL and click “Paste” button.
3. Click the “Download” button and wait for your video to download.
Y2mate is an extremely handy online YouTube downloader that you can use without installation from any modern web browser. Y2mate allows you to convert video from YouTube, Facebook, Video, Dailymotion, Youku, and many other sides to a number of different video file formats.
How to Download a YouTube Video with Y2mate
1. Go to: https://y2mate.com/
2. Paste your link into the search bar and press the “Start” button.
3. Select the format you want and click “Download” button.
4. In the new window, press “CTRL + S ” to save video OR right click to video, then select “Save as Video”.
ClipGrab is a YouTube downloader and converter for YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, and many other online video sites. The application is completely free, supported by donations. At the moment, ClipGrap runs only on Windows, but support for other operating systems may be added later.
How to Download a YouTube Video with ClipGrab
1. Go to: https://clipgrab.org/
2. Click the “Free Download!” button.
3. Install ClipGrab.
4. Copy the web address of the video that you want to download.
5. Launch ClipGrab and paste the link.
6. Decide in which quality and which output format you want to save the video.
7. Click on the “Grab this clip!” button.
TubeMate is a battle-tested YouTube downloader for Android smartphones. It can automatically detect that you’ve copied a link to clipboard, making it extremely easy to download videos from YouTube and many other websites.
How to Download a YouTube Video with TubeMate
1. Go to: http://tubemate.net/
2. Download TubeMate from a certified site.
3. Install TubeMate on your Android smartphone.
4. Launch it, go to Settings, and activate the “Detect copying link” option.
5. TubeMate will automatically appear the next time you copy a link to a YouTube video.
YouTube downloaders make downloading videos from YouTube and other video-sharing websites as easy as point and click. Just keep in mind that YouTube doesn’t allow its users to download videos without paying for YouTube Premium, which is a paid streaming subscription service for YouTube.
With YouTube Premium, you can enjoy YouTube without ads, download videos for offline playback, and play videos in the background on YouTube and YouTube Music. Unfortunately, YouTube Premium isn’t available everywhere, leaving YouTube downloaders as the only option how to enjoy YouTube videos without an internet connection.